23 Mayıs 2012 Çarşamba

Spiced Tomato and Red Lentil Soup

To contact us Click HERE

I’m sitting enjoying the quiet evening knowing myvacation is over, and I will be returning to work tomorrow.  I always feel a little bittersweetabout going back to work after my Christmas vacation.  On one hand, I like my job and the people I work with, soI’m looking forward to getting back to my routine.  On the other hand, I’m sad that my winter rest is over.  I never quite attain the same relaxedpace any other time of year.  AfterChristmas, my life slows down, and I am more “in the moment” than I am for therest of the year (no matter if I’m on vacation or not).  I’m not sure exactly why.  And, this year I was able to maintain abalance of rest, exercise, and entertainment that was nothing short ofblissful. 
I spent yesterday cleaning up Christmasdecorations.  I know I should leavethem up until Epiphany, but I do like to start the year with a clean house, andLes was home to help me get the Christmas bins in the attic.  I’ve put everything away and vacuumedthe needles (Can anyone tell me why my fake Christmas tree has needles tovacuum??), and was reminiscing about my vacation.  I was able to get in a couple of hikes, we went to a coupleof movies, watched countless movies at home, and I was able to try out some new recipes, during my vacation. Imade Spiced Tomato and Red Lentil Soup for dinner a couple of days afterChristmas, and my whole family likedthis soup (even my son).  Les isalways very complementary of my cooking, but after he ate two bowls of the souphe said, “I really, really like this soup.” High praise! 
I will be adding this healthy soup to my menu rotation since my whole family likes it, and more importantly, will eat it.  The originalrecipe gives the option of using Madras curry powder or garam masala.  Since my daughter doesn’t like curry, Ichose to use the garam masala (I love the flavor of garam masala, so I probablywould have chosen it anyway).  Therecipe also calls for vegetable broth, but I had chicken broth on hand, sothat's what I used.  Spice Tomatoand Red Lentil Soup is hearty and filling.   The red lentilshave a different, lighter flavor to me than green lentils, and I like thembetter.  I served the soup with grilled cheese sandwiches, but you could serve it with salad ora nice loaf of whole grain bread to complete the meal. 
I hope you have a Happy New Year!

Spiced Tomato and Red Lentil Soup
Adapted from Fine Cooking’s One Pot MealsPrintable Recipe3 tablespoons oil2 medium yellow onions, choppedKosher Salt2 teaspoons garam masala2 quarts low-salt vegetable or chicken broth (I used chickenbroth)2 14½ ounce can petite-diced tomatoes1 pound (2½ cups) dried red lentils, picked over, rinsed anddrained2 medium celery ribs, diced1 medium carrot, peeled and diced2 medium cloves of garlic, chopped¼ teaspoon cayenne
Heat the oil in a 6-quart or larger Dutch oven over mediumheat.  Add the onions and a pinchof salt and cook until the onions are soft and just beginning to brown,stirring occasional.  Add the garammasala and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Add the broth, tomatoes, lentils, celery, carrot, garlic,cayenne 1teaspoon kosher salt and 2 cups of water.  Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently, so thelentils don’t stick.  Skim anyfoam.  Reduce the heat and simmeruncovered, stirring occasionally, 35 to 40 minutes or until the lentils andvegetables are all tender. Check soup for seasoning, and add more salt if needed.
Serve with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream and choppedcilantro to garnish.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder