13 Mayıs 2012 Pazar

Portabella Mushroom Fajitas

To contact us Click HERE

Last year for Lent, my daughter wanted to give up all meat, dairy and other animal products. She decided to become vegan for Lent; unfortunately, she decided this onAsh Wednesday.  I flailed aroundtrying to come up with something she could eat, but I was ill-equipped and ill-prepared for her to become vegan with such short notice. I think she starvedfor a couple of days before I convinced her to give up something else.  I promised I would do some research, soshe could be vegan for this year’s Lent.
True to my word, I have been adding vegan recipes (or recipes easilymade vegan) to my arsenal, like Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Black Bean Chili,  Winter Vegetable Stew with Moroccan Flavors, and Barley Kale Salad.  I’ve beendoing research and testing recipes, and about a month ago, I was testing arecipe for red lentil burgers.  Igave one to my daughter, and she said she liked the burger, but she wanted a “real”hamburger.  I explained I wastrying out recipes for her vegan Lent this year.  She looked at me and said, “Oh yeah, about that, I’vedecided to give up soda this year instead.”
I walked away stunned. Really?  Really!?! I had toregroup after her declaration, but when I came out of my shockeddisbelief, I realized all my work could still be used.  Les and I would cut out meat and dairyfor Lent!  Les was on board, so Icontinued with my plans.  And, withher dad and me as good role models (yeah, right!), our daughter has decided tojoin us in our Lenten sacrifice (our son is another story).  So, for the next 40 days, I will beposting mostly vegetarian/vegan recipes. I’ll let you know how it goes!
I tested these Portabella Mushroom Fajitas last weekend, andI will be making these quick and easy fajitas again.  The fajitas are moist, flavorful and have nice meaty bite.  I might add a little non-dairy sourcream or guacamole to the fajitas next time I make them.  Yum!
Portabella Mushroom FajitasPrintable Recipe ¼ cup extra virgin olive oilJuice of two limes1 tablespoon tequila½ teaspoon ground cumin½ teaspoon ground coriander½ teaspoon kosher salt1 small Serrano pepper, seeded and chopped2 tablespoons chopped cilantro3 large portabella mushroom caps, washed, stemmed.½ yellow onion, sliced1 sweet bell pepper, sliced (I used ½ green and ½ red bellpepper)
Corn tortillas, warmed
In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the oil,lime juice, tequila, cumin, coriander and salt.  Stir in the Serrano pepper and cilantro, and set aside.
Gently remove the gills from the portabella mushroom with aspoon.  Slice the mushroom into ½ inchslices.  In a large bowl, add themushrooms, onions and bell pepper. Pour marinade over the mixture, and stir gently.  Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to distribute the marinade.
Heat a scant teaspoon of olive oil in a large skillet orDutch oven, and add the mushrooms, onions and peppers in batches, so you don’tcrowd the pan.  Cook until themushrooms are browned and the onions and peppers are soft.  Pour any remaining marinade over the hot mushrooms and peppers.  Serve in warmed tortillas.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder