13 Mayıs 2012 Pazar

Mediterranean Layer Dip

To contact us Click HERE

What are you doing for Super Bowl?  I know I’ve mentioned I love going to Super Bowl parties.  The parties combine someof my favorite things: socializing, eating, watching football and talking aboutfood (talking about food might be unique to my group of friends, I don’t know).  We were invited to two different SuperBowl parties this year.  We areheading over to Joanne and Todd’s so, I’m not going to compete in Tammy andTom’s pizza cook-off this year.  Iam excited to hear what Sandy and Brian come up with, since they usually win.
I’m not competing in a food competition, but I know we willbe eating well!  Joanne and Toddare great hosts, so no one goes home hungry, and I’m excited to bring MediterraneanLayer Dip with me to share.
I made Mediterranean Layer Dip to enjoy while watching thePro Bowl last weekend.  I have toadmit that the Pro Bowl, though meaningless, is a fun to watch.  The players are having such a goodtime, and their joy in being there is a blast to see.  This layer dip was great to nosh onwhile we watched the game.
I have a soft, comfortable spot in my heart for traditionallayer dip.  I love the salty chipsand the creamy dip, so when I saw this creative take on layer dip in Bean byBean a Cookbook by Crescent Dragonwagon, I had to try it.  I’m glad I did.  The flavors are fresh and lively, andthe combination is unique.  I madethe hummus from scratch, but you can easily use store bought hummus for thislayer dip.  I do have to admit thehomemade hummus really shines in this layer dip, and is so easy, I have to askmyself why I don’t make hummus from scratch all the time.  Les and the kids liked the layer diptoo.  We ate about half of itSunday, and we were all happy to polish it off Monday before dinner.
Mediterranean Layer dip tastes lighter than traditional layerdip, so it is perfect to serve when there are plenty of other heavier appetizersaround.  If you are looking forsomething light and unique to bring to your Super Bowl party, try MediterraneanLayer Dip.
Mediterranean Layer DipAdapted fromBean by Bean a Cookbook by Crescent DragonwagonPrintable Recipe1 English cucumber, peeled and chopped6 to 8 radishes, tops and tails removed, well washed andchopped1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped¼ teaspoon saltJuice of 1 lemon2 bunches green onions, white and light green portions only,chopped¼ cup chopped parsley2 Tablespoons chopped dill2 ½ cups hummus (recipe follows)½ cup feta cheese, crumbled1 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt2 large tomatoes, chopped1 cup kalamata olives, chopped
Pita chips
In a medium colander with a bowl underneath, stir togetherthe cucumber, radishes, jalapeno, lemon juice and salt.  Let the cucumber mixture drain for atleast 20 minutes.
In a small bowl, stir together the green onions, parsley,and dill.  Set aside.
Spread the hummus on the bottom of a glass pie plate.  Sprinkled drained cucumber mixture overthe hummus, and add the green onion mixture on top of the cucumbermixture.  Add the feta cheese, andtop with the sour cream.  Sprinklethe sour cream with the tomatoes and the kalamata olives.  Serve immediately with pita chips.
HummusAdapted from Bean by Bean a Cookbook by Crescent Dragonwagon2 15-ounce cans reduced sodium garbanzo beans (chickpeas),drained, liquid reserved3 tablespoons tahini2 Tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil4 cloves garlic, peeled and quarteredJuice of 1 to 2 lemons, or more to tastekosher saltfreshly ground black pepper
Combine the garbanzo beans, 2 tablespoons of the reservedbean liquid, tahini, olive oil, garlic and the juice of one lemon in the bowlof a food processor.  Pulse untilvery smooth.  Add more bean liquidand lemon juice until the hummus is the consistency of sour cream or a littlethinner.  Taste and add salt andpepper.  Refrigerate forat least 2 hours to let the flavors combine.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder